Where is Ross?

This blog is a record of my travels in Europe during the Summer of 2005. Countries visited include England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Italy, Vatican City, Monaco and Germany.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Give me some money

On this trip I have been making essentially all of my purchases in cash. My bank (Washington Mutual) charges $3 for international ATM withdrawls. My credit cards charge 3% per transaction so cash is cheaper if you take out a lot. I generally just take out $400 or more at an ATM every week or so. In Brussels I was down to my last 10€ or so, so I needed to go to an ATM before dinner. I went to one bank near my hostel and the machine wouldn't take my card. Later I went to ING and my card wouldn't even get me in the door. The ATM rejected it as well when I followed someone else inside. Maybe ING is mad at me because I only have about $0.05 in my savings account with them. I really needed money so I sought out other banks. I found a Citibank and it took my card. I asked for 300€ and it said it was too much. Subsequent iterations got me down to about 50€ and it still wouldn't give me anything. I was starting to get worried. I found two other banks and kept getting rejected. Finally I found a Fortis Bank and was able to withdraw 400€. I have no idea why it was so hard to get money tonight. I never had problems with this anywhere else on my trip. My theory is that since Fortis also happened to hold my health insurance policy at the time, they gave me money so I would be safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home