Where is Ross?

This blog is a record of my travels in Europe during the Summer of 2005. Countries visited include England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Italy, Vatican City, Monaco and Germany.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Names

I still haven’t figured out why European cities have such different names in different languages. It makes trip planning unnecessarily complicated. In Nice I bought a train ticket to Ventmille not sure if it would be arriving at the same station as Ventimigilia in Italy where I needed to catch the next train. When I bought the ticket from Vienna (Wien) to Venice (Venezia) I learned that it is Venedig in German. The worst was when I tried to buy a ticket from Genova to Monaco while I was in Monterossa. There was some confusion as to where I wanted to go after I told the lady Monaco. Eventually she said “Monte-Carlo?” and it was resolved. I found out later that Munich (Munchen in German) is Monaco in Italian. Not confusing at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home